How to Transfer Windows 10 License to Another PC 2022 – Depending on what type of Windows 10 license you have installed you may be able to transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer or another computer.
How to Check Transferable Windows 10 License on Laptop PC 2022
Over the years, Microsoft has distributed desktop operating systems through various market channels. New computers often come pre-installed with an OEM license. There are many other channels that Microsoft distributes to Windows, these include Retail, Volume License, Academic, and subgroups such as Upgrade licenses.
- 3 Easy Ways to Activate Microsoft Office
- Download Best Free VPN for Windows 10 PCs
- How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x800703ee
- 6 Ways To Speed Up Slow Internet Connection in Windows
In 2015, Microsoft launched its newest version, Windows 10, offering an operating system for eligible PCs and devices running Windows 7 or Windows 8 for free, for a limited time. Microsoft continues to provide Windows 10 as a complete retail product for computers without a qualifying license or for people who build PCs.
Find out first what type of license you have installed
Microsoft describes the Windows 10 free upgrade as a full version, not a trial. Contrary to this statement, Windows 10’s free upgrade does have some limitations. Below I explain the Windows 10 license which you can transfer to a new computer or another computer.
- If you Update from a retail copy of Windows 7, Windows 8, or 8.1, the Windows 10 license carries the retail rights from where it originated – transferable. But under Microsoft rules, you’re only entitled to one transfer.
- If you Update from an OEM license to Windows 7, Windows 8, or 8.1, this is a license that comes pre-installed on a new computer from the manufacturer, and then your Windows 10 license retains OEM rights – non-transferable.
- If you have a full retail copy of Windows 10, you can transfer as many of them as you want.
- If you upgraded to Windows 10 Pro Pack from Windows 10 Home, you can transfer it using Digital Licensing. This is possible because the Pro Pack while upgrading, is a retail license that is attached to the Microsoft Account used to purchase it.
Microsoft made modifications to channel licensing. Previously, you could identify the channel from which, the license was obtained by issuing certain Windows commands. The November update now describes all upgraded licenses, either full pack or OEM as retail. Even though your free upgrade to Windows 10 from OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 / 8.1 is now identified as retail, in the spirit, it’s still an OEM license.
This affects the rights to what you can do with the license. If it’s retail, you can continue to make hardware modifications to your system such as changing the motherboard or moving it to another computer. For the OEM version, if you change the motherboard, automatically, your free upgrade will be invalid; that is, you have to purchase a new full retail Windows 10 license.
With the release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft has made further improvements to transfer your license using the Digital Licensing feature. This is one of the ways that users should see when Transferring a windows 10 license to a new / Other Computer,
How to Transfer Windows 10 License – Remove License then Transfer to Another Computer
For how to Transfer Windows 10 license to another computer, or a free upgrade from a retail version of Windows 7 or 8.1, the license can no longer be actively used on the PC. Windows 10 doesn’t have a shutdown option. Instead, you have two choices:
- Uninstall the product key – this is the closest way to deactivate Windows License. This method does not notify the Microsoft Activation Server that the license is no longer in use on the machine; otherwise, it will avoid conflicts down the road if Microsoft Activation Server detects licenses being used on more than one system.
- Format computer – this method ensures that the license is no longer used on the computer. You can use the easy Reset option in Windows 10 to do this.
Uninstall the Windows 10 Product Key
Press Windows key + X then click Command Prompt (Admin). At the command prompt, enter the following command: slmgr.vbs / upk.
This command uninstalls Product Key, which frees the license to transfer to another computer.
You can now transfer the windows 10 license to another computer. Since the release of the November Update, Microsoft has made it easier than ever to activate Windows 10, using only your Windows 8 or Windows 7 product key.
When prompted during the setup for the product key, click I don’t have a product key. If you have a store-bought full version Windows 10 license, you can enter a product key.
Choose the Edition for which You are Licensed
Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.1 Core: Windows 10 Home
Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, Windows 8.1 Pro: Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Setup, will prompt you again for the product key during Out of the Box Experience, click Do this later if you are using a Windows 7 or Windows 8 / 8.1 product key. If you have a store-bought full version Windows 10 license, you can enter your product key.
How to Reactivate the License
Once you arrive at the desktop, you will need to re-enter your product key. You can do this in a number of different ways, let’s try the easiest method first.
Click Start> Settings> Update & security> Activation> Change product key . Enter your Windows 7 or Windows 8.0 / 8.1 product key and then click Next to activate.
Another option is to enter a key from a command prompt, press Windows key + X then click Command Prompt (Admin). Use this option only if you’re having trouble doing it from within Settings.
At the command prompt, enter the following command: slmgr.vbs / ipk xxxxx- xxxxx- xxxxx- xxxxx- xxxxx. Press Enter on your keyboard; You will receive a confirmation that the product key has been updated. Close the command prompt then proceed to reactivate by phone or Contact Support.
Since the previous Windows 10 license was on Transfer on another computer, you will need to reactivate by phone or use Contact Support. Press Windows key + R then type: slui.exe 4 then press Enter on your keyboard.
Note: If the command slui.exe 4 doesn’t work, type slui instead and press Enter.
An activation wizard will be launched. Select your country and click Next.
Dial the number on the Activation screen or launch Contact Support then explain your situation to Microsoft Answer Tech; provide the Installation ID on the screen.
The agent will verify your product key, then provide a confirmation ID to reactivate Windows 10.
If you purchased the Windows 10 Pro Pack, you will need to sign in to your Microsoft account to reactivate using Digital Licenses. I know, a very tedious procedure, but it works smoothly especially with the new chat support option in Windows 10.
- Wifi Is Often Disconnected On Laptop Here Is The Solution
- How To Know Wifi Password (Not Complicated)
- How To Activate Office 2013 Without Product Key
So, friends, that’s on above how to Transfer Windows 10 License to Another Computer, If you have any questions or comments, feel free to comment below.