6 Ways to Fix Content File Locked on Steam 2022 – Are you Steam users facing locked content files? If so, surely this problem is preventing you from updating the game so you can’t play it without installing the game update.
How to Fix Content File Locked on Steam 2022
But you don’t have to worry anymore because the admin will show you the solution how to solve the content file locked error on Steam and then you can follow the steps and fix it. But before that, let us have a quick overview of the matter.
- 10 Best Free Steam Games to Play on Windows PC
- 8 Ways to Fix Steam Is Having Trouble Connecting To The Steam Servers
- 8 Ways to Fix Steam Can’t Open on Windows 10 PC
- How To Share Steam Games To Another Account
What Is The Content File Locked Problem on Steam
This error occurs when a user tries to update any game on Steam. This may be because Steam cannot write any file updates to the hard disk. So, when it fails to update the file, it will throw this error.
In addition, users complained that they found csgo content file locked, pubg content file locked, space engineers content file locked, dota 2 content file locked, paladins content file locked, smite content file locked, miscreated content file locked, payday 2 content file locked, ark content file is locked in this game.
This error is not limited to the games mentioned above. It can happen in any game on Steam. Fortunately, here the admin will teach you how to fix locked content files on Steam.
How to Fix Content File Locked On Steam
Now without wasting any more time, let’s move on to the content file-locked solution.
1. Find And Repair Corrupt Files
There might be corrupted files and problems might occur because of these files. You can try to find and delete the corrupted file and then Steam will download it again automatically.
Follow the steps below to do this:
- The first step is to close Steam and navigate to your Steam directory. Most are located in C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam. At the time of installation, if you have chosen another location then you have to navigate to it.
- Now go to the ‘ logs ‘ folder and open ‘ txt ‘.
- Now, after opening the file, go to the bottom of the text file and look for the latest error.
- There may be various errors shown here with date and time, APPID, error description.
- Now, you have to navigate to the root of the mod folder and delete it.
- Now, try restarting Steam and you will see that Steam is asking for an update because you have deleted the files. Update and then check if the problem is resolved or not.
2. Move Steam Installation And Game Files
Another solution is to relocate the Steam Installation and Game files. Relocating Steam to a new location may fix the problem so let’s do it.
Follow the steps below:
- Open Steam and click Settings.
- Click on ‘ Download ‘ and click on ‘ Steam Library Folders ‘.
- Now, it’s time to add a new path for Steam, so click on ‘ Add Library Folder ‘ and add a new path.
- Now, you have to move the file from the current location to the new location.
- Close Steam now.
- Now, open the current Steam location on the C drive (C:\Program Files\Steam).
- Cut all the files and folders from here and paste them into the new location you have decided on.
- Now, you have to launch Steam again and log into your account.
Now, if you are facing any problem while migrating files and folders from their previous location to a new location or after launching them again, have a look at the below steps and follow them.
- The first step is to close Steam.
- Now, go to the location where you have moved all the files and folders, i.e. the new location.
- Now, find the ‘SteamApps’ folder and move it from here to your desktop.
- Now, you have to take the hard step of Uninstalling Steam. You can do this by going to Control panel–> Programs and features then right-clicking Steam and clicking Uninstall. This will remove Steam from your system.
- Now, install Steam again.
- Now, move the SteamApps folder in the new directory where you just installed the game. With this step, all games and saved data will be back with you.
- Now, open Steam and log into your account.
- Now, check the status of the problem is.
3. Reset Winsock
The problem may occur because of the Winsock catalog. Follow the steps below to run the command to reset Winsock.
- Type run in the Windows search box and right-click the first result that appears. Click Run as administrator.
- Now, type netsh Winsock reset in the Run box and hit enter.
- The command will run and then restart your system and check if the problem is resolved or not.
4. Check Disk Scan
Oftentimes, the game and its files are perfectly fine but the Hard disk where the files are stored is corrupted. There may be bad sectors on the drive and therefore certain parts of the disk cannot be accessed. Disk speed slows down due to bad sectors.
Now, you need to check if the problem is related to your hard disk. You can try running a scan using “Disc Check” to check the drive for bad sectors. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Press Windows Logo key + R and type cmd in it and press Enter.
- Type “ chkdsk c: /f ” and run the command by pressing the enter key.
- Now, press “ Y ” and it will confirm the disk scan.
- Now, the disk scanning process will start and you will be notified if there is a problem on the hard disk or is it really fine.
- After the disk scan is complete, check if the problem is still there or is it solved.
5. Run Steam As Administrator
Let’s try running Steam as administrator and see if the problem persists or goes away. You have to grant full access to Steam in order to be able to access all the folders and files. If access is not granted, the message ” Content File Locked ” will appear. Follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved or not.
- The first step is to right-click on the steam icon and select the “ Properties ” option.
- Now, the Properties window will open and you have to click on the “ Compatibility ” tab.
- Now, there will be an option to “ Run as Administrator “. Put a checkmark.
- Now, click on Apply and Ok so the changes will be saved.
- Now, fire up Steam and see what happens.
6. Disable Antivirus
The problem might be caused by Antivirus. It might block the work you want to do, so try to disable the antivirus until you update the game and then you can turn it back on.
Disabling antivirus is easy. You just need to go to the Antivirus dashboard and look for the Disable option. Disable for 30 minutes or more. Or you can search the documentation on the antivirus site to disable the Antivirus you are using.
- 15 Ways to Fix Steam Disk Write Error Quick
- 8 Ways to Fix Mouse Scroll Not Working in Windows
- 5 Best Small Size Games For PC Windows 10 PC
So those are some ways to overcome Steam Content File Locked. So follow the above solution properly and fix the problem.
Note: If none of the above methods have solved the problem for you, we recommend using the Restoro Repair Tool which can scan the repository to replace corrupted and missing files. This works in most cases, where the problem stems from a corrupt system. Restoro will also optimize your system for maximum performance. You can download Restoro by clicking here.
Don’t forget to bookmark and always visit every day Technowizah.com because you can find here the latest Tech Computer Android games How-to Guide Tips&Tricks Software Review etc, Which we update every day.